This page highlights the Forum's work on the fundamentals of health policy. These products were designed especially for those new to the Hill or covering a health policy issue new to them, as resources for a good starting point.
BRIEFING BOOK & TERMS
At the beginning of each new Congress, the Forum held Health Policy Essentials (HPE) briefings for new congressional staff to help them get up to speed on health policy topics. The briefing book from our 2015 sessions compiles all the speaker slides, background materials, and other resources in one place for easy reference. A list of common health care acronyms and a glossary of health care terms are also available.
Also see our YouTube page! We recorded some of our sessions for the 2015 HPE briefings, including discussions of national health care spending, Medicare, Medicaid, and more.
The Forum maintained a set of short primers that answer key questions on programs and practices. Below is a list of most recent Basics, listed by broad topic: Medicare, Medicaid & CHIP, Public Health & Safety Net, Aging & Long-Term Care, and Quality & Workforce.
In addition, slides from the 2010 Forum session, "How a Law Becomes a Reg" may be of interest. Although not listed here, the Forum also published many issue briefs and background papers that include overviews of major programs and issues. Check out the topics on the left side of each page, or use the search function to see what's available.
- Hospital Discharge Planning in Medicare: Current Requirements and Proposed Changes (February 9, 2016)
- Medicare (January 4, 2016)
- The Medicare Drug Benefit (Part D) (January 4, 2016)
- Medicare Part B Premiums and Social Security Benefits (November 24, 2015)
- Relative Value Units (RVUs) (January 12, 2015)
- Medicare Demonstrations (July 30, 2008)
Medicaid & CHIP
- Medicaid Eligibility and Benefits (January 5, 2016)
- Medicaid Financing (January 5, 2016)
- The Medicaid Drug Rebate Program (April 13, 2009)
- Medicaid and SCHIP Waivers (July 30, 2008)
Public Health & Safety Net
- The Public Health Service (February 11, 2015)
- The Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Program (March 10, 2010)
Aging & Long-Term Care
- National Spending for Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS), 2012 (March 27, 2014)
- The Commission on Long-Term Care: Background Behind the Mission (October 17, 2013)
- Assisted Living: Facilities, Financing, and Oversight (January 29, 2013)
- The Community Living Assistance Services and Supports (CLASS) Act: Major Legislative Provisions (January 3, 2013)
- Older Americans Act of 1965: Programs and Funding (February 23, 2012)
- The Elder Justice Act: Addressing Elder Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation (November 30, 2010)
- The State Health Insurance Program (SHIP) (March 29, 2010)
Quality & Workforce
- Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Surveys: Assessing the Patient Experience (December 18, 2014)
- Health Professions Education and Professional Obligations (April 30, 2012)